Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I kissed David Copperfield


Last night, I got up close with David Copperfield.

We weren’t exactly sharing a toothbrush. But by a surprising twist of fate, I found myself in front of a packed Performing Arts Center in San Luis Obispo, just feet from the master magician himself.

He’s older and a little more haggard than he looks on television — not surprising for an illusionist who’s been performing professionally since age 12. The 52-year-old does more than 500 shows a year.

He’s got a strong, slightly bawdy sense of humor. And he also bears the slightest resemblance to actor Hank Azaria; maybe it’s his roots as the son of Jewish immigrants in New Jersey.

Did I mention that David Copperfield’s a hell of a showman?

We watched as the illusionist impregnated a female audience member onstage (not really, but it was funny), vanished 13 people into thin air and transported himself and a woman to Perth, Australia.

Oh yeah, and there was a naughty bit with a live duck.

Then it was my turn to take the stage.

I acted as one of two lovely assistants, holding a plastic tray with heavy rubber gloves and then shuffling a deck of cards and picking one card. (I’m afraid I’ll never make it to Vegas as a dealer; I was so nervous that my leg was shaking.)

Copperfield took a live black scorpion out of the box held by the other woman — poor girl! — and selected my card using its tiny pinchers.

At the end of the trick, I leaned over (per instruction) and gave him a peck on his soft, slightly scented cheek.

That’s right. These lips have kissed David Copperfield.

So how does he do it? I have my theories, but I’m probably grasping at straws.

I’m just relishing my brief moment with one of the world’s wealthiest, most renowned magicians. Hey, can’t a girl dream?
– Sarah L.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just watched the show in Dayton, and it was amazing. I have a couple questions for you about the show you saw.
1) What card did you pick?
2) When he did the lottery numbers, and he asked personal questions to go with them, what did the second man look like - the one he asked about how long it had been since he "got busy"...

My daughters were amazed at how he made people disappear. They were bummed that he wouldn't choose kids, only adults. Oh well. :-)