Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas music, part II


If you read today’s Ticket story, you know how I feel about “The Little Drummer Boy,” which is to say I really, really REALLY don’t like it.

Not to pick on LDB, but I have to admit that every time I hear it, I make a low guttural noise, which may then lead to an insightful editorial comment like: “Aaaaaaaaarrrrgh!”

Part of the problem, I guess, is that I prefer a more contemporary sound. And as hip as he is, even David Bowie couldn’t make “Drummer Boy” cool.

That said, I do have plenty of favorites. Do you feel a list coming on? Well, wait no more! Here’s my Top Ten Christmas Songs, just in time for the holidays:

10. Christmas Island,
Jimmy Buffett. Here’s a song that manages to conjure images of the tropics and Christmas – and that just isn’t an easy pairing. I heard Leon Redbone’s version first, but I found a version of Buffett’s on YouTube, so he wins.

9. “In the Bleak Midwinter,” Chrissie Hynde with Richard Thompson and Blind Boys of Alabama. I really appreciate Hynde’s lonely vocals, which took two days to record. According to the liner notes, this is a British standard.

8. Blue Christmas, Elvis Presley. There are many good versions of this, but, come on – the King. A good number for anyone with loved ones far away.

7. “White Christmas,” Bing Crosby. You simply can’t have a Christmas song list without this one -- a perfect tune for Christmas in California. I could go on and on about this one, but just check out Songfacts for all the good background. Parts of it are probably even true.

6. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” Judy Garland. Originally written for the Garland film “Meet Me in St. Louis,” but made more famous by Frank Sinatra a little later. (For an interesting story about its transformation, check out this Entertainment Weekly article) The line “Through the years we all will be together,” which was changed for Sinatra, always makes me a little teary eyed.

5. "The Christmas Song", Nat King Cole. By now, you’ve heard all about it, right? Written during a heat wave, yada, yada. Yet, that first line – chestnuts, open fire – set the standard for imagery in Christmas songs.

4. “Jingle Bell Rock,” Bobby Helms. Hey, check this out – Billy Idol singing “Jingle Bell Rock.” Gotta dig the holiday garb.

3. (It Must’ve Been Ol’) Santa Claus, Harry Connick Jr. A great original from a modern crooner. Here's a really good cover by a Marine band.

2. "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen has played this in his live act – often during the summer – for years. The single was the B-side of “My Hometown” in the 80s. With ho ho hos provided by the Big Man himself – Clarence Clemons.

1. “Please Come Home for Christmas,” The Eagles. I know it originated with Charles Brown, but I love this version – not to mention the cover for the single, which featured the Eagles lounging around a pool, surrounded by palm trees. And, hey – now you can get it on their new album, sold exclusively at Wal-Mart! (Does sarcasm translate to blogs?)


Here are some honorable mentions:



“Hey Santa,” Chris Isaak

“I Pray on Christmas,” Harry Connick Jr.

“Step Into Christmas,” Elton John

“Rufus Wainwright,” “Spotlight on Christmas”

“Let it Snow,” Dean Martin

“Zat You, Santa Claus?” Louis Armstrong



--Pat P.

No comments: