Tuesday, December 11, 2007

MORE big wave photos






When I was shooting video of last week's big swell, I came upon two guys navigating the waves at Avila Pier, thinking: "These guys are nuts!"

While the waves weren't nearly as big as they were elsewhere in the county, they were fat and heavy -- sure to offer a bruising for those who dared enter the water there.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that the two guys were Chris Burkard and Eric Soderquist. I had done a story about them and their pending surf/travel book, "The California Project," last summer. This time I got to see them in action, Burkard trying to avoid getting clobbered with his camera gear while snapping shots of Soderquist getting tubed.

Turns out Burkard was pretty busy that day, as evidence by his photos on Surfline.

Another local shooter, Mike Jones, also has photos featured in the gallery. When the big swell hit, Jones, who owns the Azhiaziam surf shop, headed north, capturing monster waves in Monterey. (That's his photo at the top -- as if the web site address didn't give it away.)

Neither photographer has been shooting for long. But both have done some impressive work.

To see video of those massive waves up north, visit this site.



--Pat P.

No comments: