Wednesday, December 19, 2007

SLO favorite vies for Super Bowl commercial



You know what’s really great about Doritos? When you’re done eating them, you get to lick your fingers for the next three minutes.

It’s like a little something extra after your snack.

I’m guessing Dominic Castillo is probably chomping on a few Doritos as we speak. His band, Dominic Castillo and the Rock Savants, is one of ten finalists in a Doritos-sponsored contest that affords winners a record deal and massive exposure during the Super Bowl.

Castillo, a fixture in the local band scene, recently relocated to Portland, Oregon, though he still maintains ties – and a studio he shares with his brother’s band – in San Luis Obispo.

In October, unsigned acts were invited to submit videos and audio samples of an original song that is – and I’m quoting the press release here – “like Doritos tortilla chips, inspired by the musician’s passion and creativity based on his or her own bold or intense experiences.”

I’m not sure what that means, but I think it’s supposed to get us to eat more Doritos.

Nonetheless, the Crash the Super Bowl contest is a pretty good deal for the finalists. The winner not only gets a record deal with Interscope, but they also get 60 seconds of their song aired on a commercial during the Super Bowl. Which, of course, begs the question:

Does Tom Brady likes ranch or cheese flavor?

According to the press release, hundreds of acts entered the contest. A panel of judges narrowed the list to ten, and now the Dorito-eating public will choose the final three and then the winner.

Click here to vote.

After a precursory look at the contenders, I’d say Dominic Castillo and the Rock Savants have a pretty good shot at winning. Among the finalists are a hip hop act named Metafore (a literary golfer, perhaps?), a Long Island alt rocker who claims to have once danced onstage with Prince and a group whose video features a PG-13 sex scene (cheating, if you ask me).

Seriously, I think this could be the break Castillo has been waiting for.

Voting for the final three will last until Dec. 31. Voting for the winner will start January 7.

And I’ll be heading to the vending machine as soon as I finish this line.

--Pat P.

No comments: