Thursday, January 3, 2008

This election could get hairy (hopefully)


As the primaries kick into gear, there’s much debate over who’s best suited to lead our country.

Some people say it’s time for a woman president. Others say it’s time for an African-American president.

Me? I say it’s high time we had a president with facial hair.

You bald-faced naysayers can scoff at me all you want -- in fact, you can even rub your smooth, baby-butt chins while doing it. But I'm not backing down on this one.

Before you label me a hair-brained quack, consider this: The United States has not had a mustached Commander-in-Chief since William Howard Taft in 1912.

Howard Taft, people!

Sad thing is, it's not just us. In fact, the entire world seems to have a bias against leaders with facial hair.

Making matters worse, the prospects of having a hairy-faced president in the next election don't look the least bit promising – unless David Letterman decides to drop his hat in the ring.

What's wrong with our political system?

Ok, I'll admit, I'm sort've biased on this matter. When I was a kid, I used to make these fake mustaches that I'd wear around the neighborhood, saying something really silly, like: "Hey, look, I have a mustache!" Except that I couldn't really fool anybody since I was, like, eight years old and walking around with a mustache.

Not too many eight-year-olds have mustaches, you know. I mean, you have those wolf boys that live in Mexico, but they don't really count, if you ask me.

When I was a seventh grader, there was this kid – I’ll call him Mel since that was his name -- who had a mustache and a beard, and he was sort of my hero for a while, right up there with Reggie Jackson and the San Diego Chicken.

Now that I'm a mustached, quasi-bearded adult like Mel, I feel that every man ought to have facial hair at some point in his life. In fact, in some cases, I think it's highly advisable. I mean, seriously, now that Paul McCartney’s face is getting a little saggy, I see no reason why he shouldn’t go back to his White Album days.

But the great thing about facial hair, I think, is the versatility. A guy with facial hair has so many options, after all.

Despite all that hair can offer, our leaders continue their quest to keep our national government hair-free. Only five presidents have sported beards – despite the great example set by Abe Lincoln.

Al Gore – who won the popular vote by a hair in 2000 – gave us hope
for a short time. But now we’re faced with a pool of stubble-free candidates, and I just don’t like it.

If you ask me, I say we need a pro-growth candidate, a leader who doesn’t shy away from hairy situations.

So please support me in my new write-in campaign.

Vote Mel in 2008.


--Pat P.

No comments: