
If I were to write a list of the top ten rock songs of all time, Rod Stewart’s Maggie May would have to be on it.
Co-written with classical guitarist Martin Quittenton, its lyrics convey humility, regret and the pain of love turned sour. Musically, the single was driven by a clanging high-hat and a cranked-up bass. And above all, Stewart’s raw vocals make this a song for the ages.
Of course, like all great singles, the record label didn’t think it was all that. (It was released as a B-side to “Reason to Believe.”) But among Stewart’s lofty catalogue, it remains his anthem.
I can’t guarantee he’ll perform "Maggie May" at the Mid-State Fair this summer, but I can say this: He’s great live.
And, yeah – he’ll probably sing “Maggie May.”
Tickets for Stewart’s show go on sale this Friday.
With opening act Bryan Adams, it’s the concert I most look forward to at this year’s fair. But the rest of the lineup looks pretty good, too.
Country stars Alan Jackson and Toby Keith are returning. Nineties rockers the Stone Temple Pilots, freshly reunited, will be here for the first time, as will John Mayer.
You can get tickets for those acts Friday as well.
For a full list of acts and prices, see the state fair’s web site.
-- Pat P.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
"Maggie May" and You
Posted by
Features staff
at
3:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment